Cholecystitis : What is it & treatments
A condition characterized by the inflammation of gallbladder, a small, pear-shaped organ on the right side of the abdomen, below the liver.
Symptoms include abdominal pain and tenderness, vomiting and fever.
Commonly caused due to gallstones. The other causes could be problem in the bile duct, tumor or certain infections.
A detailed medical history and physical examination is carried out. Blood tests and imaging tests are done to ascertain the condition.
→ Common treatment options
→ How is this diagnosed?
- Treatable by a medical professional
- Diagnosed by medical professional
- Requires lab test or imaging
- Can last several days or weeks
- Common for ages 60 and older
- More common in females
- Can be dangerous or life threatening if untreated
- Urgent medical attention recommended in severe cases
Antibiotics: To treat gallbladder infections.
Metronidazole . Piperacillin
Analgesics: To manage the pain caused due to gallstones.
Oxycodone . Acetaminophen
Gallstone dissolvers: To dissolve gallstones.
Ursodiol . Chenodiol
→ Do you have a health question on your mind for cholecystitis? Ask professionals from across the world